Based on experiences with education on research integrity for PhD students, we have built up a training course on ethics in science, which is adapted to the boundary conditions at a research institute and contains both fundamentals and practical examples. It complements the booklet about guidelines for research integrity, which were elaborated together with EMPA, Eawag and WSL, and which is handed out to each PhD student.
- Why ethics matter in science
- Guidelines on Research Integrity at PSI
- Planning and execution research work, data management, scientific publishing
- Transfer of ethical principles and values to specific situations in research
- Information sources, homepage RI with links
- get to know about the basic principles of ethical decision making
- learn to take responsibility in a proactive way
- are able to recognize the range of their decisions
- can make the link to their own work
Participation in the course 931E (PhDs) is compulsory for all PhD students (3 parts) and participation in the course 931E (Postdocs) (only part 1) is compulsory for all postdocs, latest 18 months after they started working at PSI. The secretaries of the PSI divisions control the participation.
Web based training (self-study): eLearning course “Ethics in research”, 25 min.
Will be accessible from Monday, 25.10.2021 on a web link and is to be completed before Friday, 05.11.2021
Course 931E (Postdocs) is completed if part (1) is passed.
|Basic / Advanced courses|
To display basic or advanced courses, please use the filters in the course list
|Requirements for participants|
|Proof of performance|
Certificate of completion
|Number of days / duration in lessons (à 45 minutes each)|
1 lesson during the date while eLearning is opened
|Course leader / moderation|
Rafael Abela (ombudsperson)
Helmut Schift (RI consultant)
|Number of participants|
Minimum 6 / Maximum 200
This course does not include meals. However, the staff restaurant OASE also provides external visitors with inexpensive and tasty menus.
Administration PSI Education Center, Tel. 056 310 24 00, firstname.lastname@example.org
see general terms and conditions