Figures are key components of research articles. In this workshop, we discuss characteristics of high quality figures and compare software tools for figure preparation.
- Principles of data displays
- Statistical graphs (different types, recommendations)
- Diagrams, illustrations and maps (when to use and how to improve)
- Photos (recommendations, photo editing and misconduct)
- Figure legends
- Software for figure preparation and photo editing
The objective of this workshop is to know how to prepare clear, informative, truthful, attractive figures. The focus is on figures intended for publication in scientific journals.
This workshop is aimed at PhD candidates and researchers planning to publish
- lectures: basic principles and practical approaches of information displays
- discussions: strength and weaknesses of sample figures (participants bring samples of their own work)
- exercises: improvement of figures
|Basic / Advanced courses|
To display basic or advanced courses, please use the filters in the course list
|Requirements for participants|
|Proof of performance|
Certificate of completion
Villigen, PSI Education Center (building OSGA) or Zoom (course is offered in hybrid form)
|Number of days / duration in lessons (à 45 minutes)|
1/2 day / 09.00 - 13.00 (4 lessons)
|Course leader / moderation|
Dr. Philipp Mayer
Philipp Mayer received a PhD in the field of biodiversity research and he is a trainer for scientific writing. He has broad experience in research and in adult education.
|Number of participants|
Minimum 6 / Maximum 14
This course does not include meals. However, the staff restaurant OASE also provides external visitors with inexpensive and tasty menus.
Administration PSI Education Center, Tel. 056 310 24 00, email@example.com
see general terms and conditions